276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-100mm F4 IS Pro Lens, suitable for all MFT cameras (Olympus OM-D & PEN models, Panasonic G-series), black

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It's actually a lot better than any of the other Olympus PRO zooms, which are infamous for producing unpleasant bokeh. What’s more even at the weakest focal length the MTFs at the maximum relative aperture are fully useful. When photographing, those kinds of things seldom get noticed, but that kind of zoom effect can be a real pain if it happens during filming.

Olympus M.Zuiko 12-100mm f/4 IS PRO - review / test report Olympus M.Zuiko 12-100mm f/4 IS PRO - review / test report

It doesn't grant you the blurriest backgrounds nor the most compact dimensions available among other Olympus lenses, but it's well-built, offers excellent stabilization and gives a great zoom range to match almost any situation you find yourself in. The ‘Pro’ designation places it in Olympus’s top line, with weather-sealed construction and premium optics. for most focal lengths over the entire aperture range of the lens, with the exception of 12mm and 100mm.

Yes, I do realize that this is not an apples-to-apples comparison because the depth of field is shallower with the full frame gear. in the past, but found for travel it was just a bit short on the long end for an everyday travel lens. Olympus has been developing its PRO series of lenses since late 2013, the year in which the original OM-D E-M1 was released. There is some sample variation I guess, some copies of the 14-150 II are probably worse than mine from what I have seen in forums or may be I used the better focal lenghts of the lens most of the time. Zuiko Digital ED 300mm f/4 IS Pro telephoto, Olympus had relied on in-body stabilisation systems – the 12-100mm is their second lens to have it.

Olympus 12-100mm F/4 Pro Lens Review | Unlocking Olympus Olympus 12-100mm F/4 Pro Lens Review | Unlocking Olympus

In jpeg, with all lens corrections active, we see about the same image, but the performance is more even. In any case it's pretty awesome but remember that Sync IS is not the solution to all problems - if there's motion in your scene, the moving objects will get blurred at slow shutter speeds and no IS will help you there. The transition between elements is smooth, though you’ll get slightly creamier results and larger bokeh balls by opening the aperture to f/2. I won't be carrying it with me every day, but I'll pack my 75mm for specific shoots (I'm a photographer and my partner is a model, so we'll be shooting some magazine stuff), but the primes will keep me covered on the wide to portrait focal lengths – happily enough cutting off just where the 40-150R can take over.

This is not just because of the wide range of focal lengths, but for the fact that you can fill the frame at essentially all focal lengths (not at 12mm, but at 14-100mm) with a flower that measures 3” across. The Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II used for this test is a great match for the lens, offering good balance, fast auto-focus, and full environmental seals. There is only a minimum of light fall-off in the corners at f/4, which you will probably not even notice in your real-world photos, and distortion is commendably kept well under control too.

12-100 photos on Flickr | Flickr 12-100 photos on Flickr | Flickr

The new Wacom One 12 pen display, now in its second generation, offers photographers an affordable option to the mouse or trackpad, making processing images easy and efficient by editing directly on the screen. Like Olympus’s other Pro lenses, pulling the focus ring back towards the camera enters manual focus mode, revealing a distance scale that’s marked in feet and meters, and with hard end stops to its travel. However, on the other hand, the corners at 12mm, have the most barrel distortion, albeit it’s not considerable; it’s still less than 0. The 12-40mm was one of the first PRO lenses, and as such, relies on the in-body stabilisation of Micro Four Thirds cameras. But you can still get quite nice blurred backgrounds if you keep plenty of distance between your subject and your background in the 100mm mode.

Not only the maximum MTFs are reached already at the maximum relative aperture but also the result in that place is really close to the record value, exceeding slightly 82 lpmm. You must wonder why the lens’s size and weight are a matter of concern for me because most professional users carry around big and heavy gear to events and trips already. Pro, Olympus employed a seven circular-bladed diaphragm, which produces some very nice bokeh, at least in our opinion. The funny thing is that the clutch requires some real effort to move and makes a snap noise when you do, yet somehow I often found the clutch in the wrong position without me noticing how it got there. In this article, we'll go over the basics of colorimetry so you can understand how we measure and plot color, and how colorimeters use this science to confirm your display's color accuracy.

Olympus 12-100mm f/4 Lens Review | Sans Mirror | Thom Hogan Olympus 12-100mm f/4 Lens Review | Sans Mirror | Thom Hogan

With the lens set close to infinity, we found that there was no relevant difference in centre sharpness between the two lenses at 12mm, 25mm and 40mm, which makes sense given that both are PRO lenses from the same manufacturer. With the 12-100, I use a wider Peak Design, Slide Lite strap to make the weight easier to carry, and I moved the right strap to the lower plate, to keep the right deck clear of the strap. Though there are times I’d prefer the option for a shallower depth of field for people photography, I nevertheless enjoy the no-brainer ease of just shooting wide open at F4. I can personally testify to the 12-40mm’s build quality because I once fell down a small flight of stairs while using it on the E-M1, and it continues to work as well as the day we bought it.The centrally-positioned zoom ring falls perfectly to hand, and rotates smoothly through approximately 90 degrees from one end of the range to the other. With such a versatile focal length of 12-100 (24-200 in FF terms) it was the ideal video lens for shooting weddings. With other IS systems I wouldn’t usually expect to get sharp images at shutter speeds longer than 0. That pointed me at the 12-100, but that's a much bigger lens than I'd like to carry for some situations (I do a lot of cycle touring when I travel). A petal-type lens hood is included in the box, with a locking button to hold it in place, and the lens accepts 72mm filters.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment